It’s Friday and I’m feeling great as my kids (especially for my daughter who just started TK) made it through a whole week without a major meltdown at school lol. We also worked on a craft project for the 100 days of school celebration and finishing some of mine and my daughters’ project at home (we’re working on DIY bracelets).
Creativity is something we all use in some form, but many believe they aren’t creative. But the creative mind can be developed. The best way to do that is through practice. The more you do the things, regularly, that flex your creative muscle, the more you will develop a natural ability to be creative.
Developing your creative muscles helps reduce stress and improve your problem-solving ability. Begin with these 10 steps to develop and enhance your creativity.
1. Be mindful and observe what others are doing around you. The way we see our surroundings and our environment helps build our creativity. Notice and appreciate everything and everyone around you. This opens your mind to new possibilities while helping you build on the collection of experiences to draw from for inspiration.
2. Be willing to take risks in order to develop your creative skills. While you will fail, you will be boosting your creativity and building skills you can use later.
3. Every time you make progress with using your creativity, you are building your confidence. Reward yourself for your creativity.
4. When you approach a problem, remember there are multiple solutions. Look for a variety of solutions instead of going with your first one. This helps build problem-solving skills and creative thinking skills.
5. Start to keep a creativity journal. Use it to keep track of your creative process and any ideas you come up with. Go back and reflect on what you have accomplished. Use it to try to find other solutions to any problems you may have solved already.
6. Use a mind map or flow chart to connect ideas and look for creative answers to any questions you are facing. My favorite mindmap tool is a simply using a pen and pad (I use a reMarkable paper tablet) but from my desktop, I love love love using the Xmind app. For the mind map, write down the central topic or word then link the related ideas around the center word. This gives you a visual for seeing ideas and how they are linked. The flow chart can be used to track what needs to happen when in a project or event. They can also be used to visualize the final product and what needs to happen to get to that finished product.
7. Develop your creativity by changing your environment. I go from standing (on my standing desk) to sitting when working from my laptop at home or this can as simple as clearing your desk, painting your walls or moving your furniture. Or you can try taking your laptop to work in a different setting such as a restaurant or park.
8. Fight your fear of failing. Just keep moving forward and practice. If you fear you will make a huge mistake or fail when you try doing something new, it can keep you paralyzed from being creative. Mistakes are always going to happen. The trick is to not give up and to learn from them.
9. Get out of your comfort zone and try new things. Do this on a regular basis to develop your creativity. Changing things and doing things outside your comfort zone boosts creativity. Start with something small if you aren’t ready to rock climb a mountain cliff.
10. Bonus Tip: Take time to daydream and let your mind wander. Daydreaming leads to creative problem-solving while boosting your creative thinking. As it wanders, your mind accesses memories and emotions as well as those random bits of knowledge you’ve forgotten. Focus on the area you are wanting inspiration in.
The practice is key when it comes to developing your creativity. If you don’t do your activities, regularly, whether they are mental or physical, your creativity fades. There are many ways to develop your creativity. Just find the ones that work for you.
Keep moving forward,